Every month our Emergency Response Division provides scientific expertise and services to the U.S. Coast Guard on everything from running oil spill trajectories to model where the spill may spread, to possible effects on wildlife and fisheries, and estimates on how long the oil may stay in the environment.
In December, the Office of Response and Restoration responded to several mystery sheens and minor oil spills, as well as derelict, sunken, or capsized vessels.
Our Incident News website has information on oil spills and other incidents where we provided scientific support.
Here are some of this month’s responses:
- Mystery Sheen, Main Pass 70
- M/V Pacific Huron Grounding Saint Lawrence Seaway
- Breton Sound 53
- M/V Eunice LaMay
- Gasoline Tanker Truck Rollover, Detroit, OR
- Mystery Sheen Main Pass 77
- S/V Liberty Star
- Bayou Perot ISB
- Bulk Carrier Jupiter #6 Spill
- Derelict Vessel South of Cannon Beach, OR
- Towing Vessel JAKE SHEARER Voyage WX Forecast